Table of Contents
AMA Research have published the First Edition of the report 'Mechanical Fasteners in Construction Market Report – UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which quanitifies demand for nuts & bolts, screws, nails, anchors and other types of fasteners used in civil engineering, building and RMI (including DIY) applications. The report also assesses key market drivers and provides a detailed analysis of the market structure, along with a market forecast to 2019.
Key issues analysed include:
• Market structure
• Market size and key drivers
• Supply chain review - including manufacturers and distributors
• Analysis of import levels
• Market prospects to 2019
• Key applications for mechanical fasteners
Key drivers for growth are levels of activity across the building, civil & structural engineering and RMI sectors, key growth areas being housebuilding and infrastructure works. In recent years increasing global steel prices have also contributed to market growth rates. However, over the medium-longer term key factors likely to restrict growth are critical skills shortages among both trades and professions as well as the natural maturity of the marketplace.
However, the lower priced, standard /generic commodity end of the market is dominated by imports, not just from low cost manufacturers in China and other Asian economies, but also from European and US manufacturers of branded products. UK manufacture is primarily limited to specialist fasteners used in applications such as structural steelwork and cladding systems, a large proportion of which is exported.
Areas of insight include:
• Thorough assessment of the supply chain and identification of key UK manufacturers and subsidiaries of US and European owned manufacturers, specialist fasteners wholesalers and other distributors.
• Evaluation of key uses for fasteners and assessment by size of applications, either by value or volume, e.g. structural steelwork, steel cladding, timber frame, drywall and roofing.
• Assessment of import trends and sources.
• Analysis of leading manufacturers and distributors active in the construction market. Companies include; Ancon, Cooper & Turner, ITW Construction Products, Hilti GB, SFS Intec, EJOT UK, Fischer Fixings, UK, Wurth UK, Hexstone, Harrison & Clough, TI Midwood, Apex Stainless Steel Fasteners, TFC and BAPP Industrial Supplies.
Key areas covered in the report include:
CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS
• Definition and Market Overview – overview of total UK market for metal fasteners and screw machine products and indications of the share of this overall market accounted for by mechanical fasteners in construction applications.
• The construction market for fasteners and fixings in this report is identified by applications including: Structural steelwork and concrete – including bridges, gantries and masts; Structural timber systems – timber frame, trussed rafters, engineered flooring; Pitched and flat roofing systems – tiles, decking, battens, membranes; Building envelope systems – steel roof & wall panels, roof & façade glazing systems, rainscreen cladding; Drywall and insulation boards; Floorcoverings – floorboards, carpeting etc; Heating, plumbing and electrical – wiring accessories, cable management products, sanitaryware.
• Recent market growth and forecasts – market size by value, growth levels 2010-2014 and forecasts 2015-2019.
• Product mix overview – product mix by value between screws, bolts, non-threaded fasteners etc.
• Key drivers /factors – housing and non-domestic construction output, imports, skills shortages, trends in pre-fabrication – PODs, volumetric construction, panellised systems, pre-cast concrete cross-wall systems, pre-cast foundations etc.
SUPPLY CHAIN ANALYSIS
• Overview of distribution chain – estimates of market mix between specialist fasteners wholesalers, other distributors, direct sales to OEMs and fabricators etc.
• Review of key manufacturers, foreign owned subsidiaries, etc.
• Review of key elements of the supply chain including specialist fastener wholesalers, other distributors and merchants active in the construction market e.g. builders’ merchants, electrical wholesalers, interior products distributors and DIY stores and wholesalers.
• Direct supply is a key element of this market with manufacturers / suppliers selling direct to specialist contractors or fabricators for structural steelwork, bridges, masts, steel and aluminium modular building systems, cladding system, commercial glazing systems, drywall system, flat roofing systems, low voltage electrical equipment, structural timber systems etc.
• Growth of multi-channel distributors such as Screwfix etc.
• Overview and identification of key applications - includes and assessment of usage for particular types of fasteners for specific applications as follows:
• Structural steel – market sizes for framework components, bridges and lattice masts 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
• Roofing - market sizes for flat & tiled roofing 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
• Building envelopes - market sizes for steel cladding products, façade glazing 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
• Structural timber - market sizes for timber frame systems 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment particular types of fastener and uses.
• Interior finishing - market sizes for drywall systems, wiring accessories and sanitaryware 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment particular types of fastener and uses.
This report attempts to quantify by value, the construction market for mechanical fasteners. Within our definition the construction market includes new build in residential and non-residential applications, civil engineering works – e.g. bridges, tunnels – and RMI (including DIY). Mechanical fasteners are broadly split between threaded products (screws, nuts and bolts) and non-threaded, e.g. nails, tacks and staples. In the UK it is estimated that by value, construction accounts for some 15 -18% of mechanical fastener demand. However, the size of the sector may vary depending on the definition.
The market is mature with the result that annual growth rates are typically quite low. The other main factor keeping rates down is that the vast majority of standard products, used on building and RMI works are made up of low-cost imports. The market for mechanical fasteners in construction applications has grown by an estimated 5% during 2014, higher than in previous years. Underpinning growth has been improvements in housebuilding and other construction output and also some increases in the global prices for commodities such as steel.
Specific areas of growth in demand for mechanical fasteners have been infrastructure works, especially tunnels and bridges /gantries and in particular the Thameslink and Crossrail programmes, external wall insulation on social housing RMI projects, curtain wall and rainscreen cladding on medium-high rise office developments and steel building envelope systems on warehousing developments, driven by the growth in online retailing.
Conditions for mechanical fasteners are expected to continue to improve in 2015 and with the continuation of the Crossrail project and the planned HS2 programme, demand for added-value high tensile fasteners should remain strong. Other likely areas of demand growth include housebuilding, online distribution warehousing, utilities improvement programmes, medium-high rise office new build and the leisure sector. However, recovery is likely to be slow, limited by public sector spending cuts and dependent on growth in orders across the construction industry, and growth from 2016 onwards is likely to be more modest at 3-4% per annum.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“Plasterboard market projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.7%” The plasterboard market size is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period of 2016–2021 and reach USD 23.85 billion ...
“The global concrete cooling market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.7% from 2016 to 2026” The global concrete cooling market was valued at USD 936.0 million in 2015 and is projected to reach USD ...
“Growing construction and transportation industries to drive the foam insulation market” The foam insulation market was valued at USD 17.58 billion in 2016 and is projected to reach USD 22.39 billion ...