Table of Contents
In 2015, the Philippines will be a relatively small telecom services market in the Asia-Pacific region, with estimated revenue of US$7.8bn or 2.6% of GDP, almost the same as the previous year. Mobile voice services will be the most important growth driver, generating $260m more revenue in 2015 than in 2014. Operators' focus on offering more digital services, improving network capacity and reliability, and migration of customers from 2G to 3G will be the major growth driver for mobile data services in Philippines. The top operator, PLDT, will alone account for 53% of overall service revenue in 2015, with Globe Telecom taking 31% of the entire market. Both operators are continuously strengthening their positions by increasing network capacity and partnering with international Internet companies, which make it hard for new entrants to gain a significant portion of the market. Adoption of 3G technologies is at 43.7% of the mobile subscription base, slightly lower than 2G subscription; however, we project 3G subscriptions to grow rapidly and account for the majority of the market by 2016 and mostly replace 2G by 2020. 4G subscriptions will grow steadily to reach 25.5m by year-end 2020, 17% of total mobile subscriptions in the Philippines.
- Pyramid Research expects total telecom revenue in Philippines to grow at a CAGR of 8.4%, faster than Thailand or Vietnam, over the next five years to reach $11.7bn in 2020, driven by operators' investment in improving network capacity and increasing services.
- Revenue is highly concentrated in the top two operators, PLDT and Globe Telecom, together accounting for 84.3% of the overall service revenue largely due to their combined 100% share of the mobile segment. We expect the number of fixed access lines - circuit-switched voice, VoIP and broadband - to increase to 11.9m in 2020.
- PLDT's leading investment in data infrastructure (3G, 4G, DSL, fiber) will serve to preserve share as the operator launches more digital services over an integrated fixed and wireless network.
- Pyramid Research expects mobile service revenue in the Philippines to grow at a CAGR of 10.4% over the 2015-2020 period to reach $7.6bn by 2020. Mobile data will be the key growth driver, accounting for 55.3% of mobile revenue in 2020, up from 51.6%, at year-end 2015.
- We expect fixed broadband Internet revenue to reach $885.3m in 2015 (an increase of $84.1m from 2014) and project it will increase at a CAGR of 14.8% to 1.8bn in 2020. The growth in fixed broadband revenue will be primarily driven by operators' fiber network rollouts supported by the national broadband imitative, with increased Internet speeds enabling better customer experience.
“Philippines: Operator Partnerships and National Broadband Initiatives Drive Telecom Digital Transformation” provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Thailand today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into the Philippine's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: Telecom market size and trends in the Philippines compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in the Philippines.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, SIM registration, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2013 to 2020.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in the Philippines's telecommunications markets.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of the Philippine telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the Philippines's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer's demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Philippine telecom market.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in the Philippines.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
"Telecoms retail revenue decline in Western Europe will be slower than in previous years, falling at a CAGR of –0.5% between 2016 and 2021." Slower revenue decline in Western Europe is a result of increasing ...
"Despite a decline in overall fixed revenue in Western Europe, fixed broadband and IPTV revenue will grow at a CAGR of 2.5% between 2015 and 2021." Fixed broadband revenue in Western Europe (WE) is expected ...
This report provides: - an interim update of our 5-year forecast of more than 175 mobile and fixed KPIs for the Middle East and North Africa, as a whole and for 12 key countries, which was previously published ...