Table of Contents
Malaysia is the eighth-largest telecom market in the APAC region and is estimated to generate telecom service revenue of $13.9bn by 2020. Mobile data will contribute nearly 39.5% of the total revenues, due to increased adoption of OTT and other mobile entertainment apps. Operator investments in LTE expansion and network modernization will be the major catalyst for the growth of mobile data services in Malaysia. MNOs will focus on high-end data customers to drive postpaid segment revenue. Moreover, operators will focus on differentiated VAS offerings, such as direct operator billing platforms, cloud storage and music streaming apps to capture market share. Further, triple-play offerings will help operators to attract more subscriptions in the coming years. Pay-TV operators will focus on extending their content libraries and adding value-added services, such as on-demand video and connected PVRs to drive the pay-TV subscriptions. The entry of iflix will enhance the competition in the pay-TV market.
- With one of the most mature and saturated telecom markets, Malaysia telecom revenue will reach $9.3bn, or 3.1% of nominal GDP, by year-end 2015.
- Pyramid Research expects telecom service revenue to reach $13.9bn in 2020 (CAGR of 8.3% over 2015-2020) driven by operator investments in LTE network enhancement and broadband network expansion to support the government's national broadband objectives.
- The revenue mix will continue to be dominated by mobile services, due to ongoing deployment of LTE networks to achieve nationwide coverage and surge in data demand.
- Fixed and mobile data revenue will increase subsequently and will account for 53.7% of total revenue in 2020, up from 38.6% in 2015.
“Malaysia: Government Initiatives and Operator Investment to Drive Fixed and Mobile Broadband Growth” report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Malaysia today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Malaysia's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Malaysia compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Malaysia.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2013 to 2020.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Malaysia's telecommunications markets.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of Malaysia's telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Malaysia's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Malaysia telecom market.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Malaysia.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
"The rate of annual growth worldwide will decline persistently over the forecast period, falling from 78% in 2015 to 30% in 2021." Cellular data traffic growth will continue to be stronger in emerging ...
"Cellular data traffic in Sub-Saharan Africa will be over 9 times higher in 2021 than in 2016 – this growth will be key to mobile operators' future prospects." Mobile network operators in Sub-Saharan ...
"Cellular data traffic in the Middle East and North Africa will be 484% higher in 2021 than in 2016 – mobile operators must monetise this growth." Mobile network operators in the Middle East and North ...