Summary Until recently, Italy was one of the most dynamic markets for smoking tobacco in Europe, although it still remains comparatively small, with consumption quite low in per capita terms. Smoking tobacco volumes overall are estimated at approximately 3,700 tons in 2014, although changes to how tax is levied on the sector led to recent sales contracting on the last high of 3,800 tons recorded in 2012. However, the past three years have witnessed stabilization with only minor fluctuations.
Key Findings - The Italian tobacco products market is large, accounting for over 79,000 tons in 2014, and is dominated by sales of manufactured cigarettes
- Volume sales of manufactured cigarettes represented more than 94% of the total market; despite rising prices and growing health awareness, cigarette volumes have remained relatively buoyant, although demand has been in decline since 2007 as prices and smoking restrictions have increased
- In per capita terms, the Smoking Tobacco market remains very small with an estimated average annual consumption level lower than 60g in 2014, but up almost 10g from 1990. The forecast for 2015 suggests a slightly higher average intake than in 2014
- Trade figures show that imports will remain over 4,000 tons in 2014, which indicates that levels are going to be higher than in the 2000s
Synopsis “Smoking Tobacco in Italy”, is an analytical report by Canadean that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Italian market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands, and company profiles
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habits, and growing health concerns affecting overall production
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2014 to 2024
Reasons To Buy - Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market
- Identify areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the Italian market is key to ensuring maximum future sales
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future
Table Of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Italy, 2015 Table of Contents Introduction Market context Market size and structure Production and trade Taxation and retail prices Manufacturers and brands The smoking population Operating constraints Distribution Appendix