Table of Contents
A growing trend among many consumers toward health-consciousness has propelled sales of superfoods and some associated perceived healthy products, such as gluten- and wheat-free foods and products such as Vitamixes. Food and beverage companies such as McDonald's and Mondelez International have responded by committing to strategies to improve the nutritional content of some of their products.
Features and benefits
* This case study looks at how health-consciousness among consumers has grown in recent years, with sales of healthy products backing this up.
* The case study looks in more detail at the sale of certain superfoods and superfood powders, and related products like the Vitamix.
* Finally, the case study examines commitments made by companies like Mondelez and McDonald's to improve the nutritional content of their products.
The 2014 Food and Health Survey by the IFIC found that 71% of respondents said healthfulness was a driver of food and beverage purchases, up from 61% in 2012. Young consumers aged 18-34 narrowed the gap with other age groups as their responses citing healthfulness as a purchase driver increased from 55% in 2013 to 66% in 2014.
The FAO declared 2013 as the "international year of quinoa". Britons buy three times more quinoa than they did five years ago, in 2009. Shipments from Peru, the second largest exporter of quinoa, grew by 222% between January and September of 2014, totaling $141m. The world's top exporter, Bolivia, received $146m from quinoa sales.
In 2004, there were 9,000 fast-casual restaurants in the US, compared to 14,000 McDonald's. Since then, fast-causal restaurants have increased to 21,000 while McDonald's have only risen slightly, reflecting growing consumer health consciousness. McDonald's has attempted to meet this demand by increasing its number of healthy options.
Your key questions answered
* Are consumers more health-conscious? Is this a Western phenomenon, or is it true in countries like China as well?
* What are superfoods? What are examples of superfoods? How have their sales been in recent years?
* Are any large consumer or fast-food companies attempting to make their products healthier?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“The food amino acids market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.8%” The food amino acids market is projected to reach USD 6.82 billion by 2022 at a CAGR of 7.8%, from 2016 to 2022. The market is driven ...
The global probiotics dietary supplements market is expected to reach USD 7.0 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Rising preference towards preventive healthcare coupled ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Whey Protein Ingredients in Thousand Pounds (lbs.). The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, ...