Table of Contents
Due to a stronger US dollar, inbound tourism recorded slower growth in 2015 compared to 2014, while domestic and outbound tourism registered strong growth. As a result, trips to Canada in particular increased sharply in 2015. Moderate economic growth supported the rise in domestic and outbound tourism. Over the forecast period, domestic trips are expected to increase at an average annual rate of 1.7% while inbound and outbound tourist volumes are projected to expand at a CAGR of 3.3% and 4% respectively.
- The travel and tourism sector in the US demonstrated moderate growth in 2015. Domestic arrivals grew by 2.4% with 2.2 billion trips, while expenditure was up by 2.8% and stood at US$720.7 billion. This increase can be attributed to moderate economic growth and decreasing unemployment rates. Visiting friends and relatives (VFR) is the key purpose for taking domestic trips in the US. Due to a stronger US dollar, outbound trips recorded robust growth in 2015 while international arrivals' growth slowed in comparison to 2014. Canadian arrivals to the US plunged by -1.8% in 2014 and -4.4% in 2015. The growth of inbound trips slowed from 7.1% in 2014 to 2.9% in 2015, while outbound trips were up by 7.2% in 2015 and totaled 73.2 million. Outbound expenditure stood at US$238.9 billion in 2015 and inbound expenditure valued US$193.7 billion The consolidation wave that took place in the last decade resulted in fewer airlines dominating at several airports in the US. This has enabled them to charge higher prices; domestic airfares have risen by 5% over the last decade after adjusting inflation. Today, among 100 big airports, a single airline dominates at 40 airports in terms of seats available. One or two airlines currently dominate at 93 airports
- The expanding hotel industry in the US is attracting offshore capital and drove acquisitions in 2015. According to JLL, a global real estate services firm, acquisitions valued US$10 billion during the first half of 2015, an increase of 77% over the corresponding period a year ago. China's relaxation of restrictions on insurance firms' investments in the overseas market in 2012 and the ongoing slowdown in the domestic real estate market is encouraging Chinese insurers to look for attractive assets globally. In 2014, Anbang Insurance Group, which is based in China, bought Waldorf Astoria from the Hilton Hotel Group for US$2 billion
Canadean's report - Travel and Tourism in the US to 2020 - provides detailed information on the country's tourism sector, analyzing market data and providing insights. This report provides a better understanding of tourism flows, expenditure, and the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries.
What else does this report offer?
- Historic and forecast tourist volumes covering the entire US Travel and Tourism sector
- Detailed analysis of tourist spending patterns for various categories, such as accommodation, sightseeing entertainment, foodservice, transportation, retail, travel intermediaries, and others
- Analysis of trips by purpose and mode of transport, and expenditure across various categories including domestic, inbound, and outbound tourism, with analysis using similar metrics
- Analysis of the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries by customer type - leisure and business travelers
Reasons To Buy
- Make strategic business decisions using historic and forecast market data related to the US's Travel and Tourism sector
- Understand the demand-side dynamics within the industry to identify key market trends and growth opportunities
- Direct promotional efforts on the most promising markets by identifying the key source and destination countries
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Egypt is one of the fastest growing and most promising economy in Africa. Egypt's high growth rate in recent years was driven by high international tourist inflow, growth in trade & logistics and ICT market. ...
Malaysia Medical Tourism Market: Overview In terms of revenue, the Malaysia medical tourism market is expected to register a CAGR of 30.5% during the forecast period, 2016–2024. The primary objective ...
The global medical tourism market accounts for about $XX billion in 2014 and it is anticipated to reach a market value of $XX billion by the end of 2020 at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period of 2015 ...