Table of Contents
This case study examines several of the most pertinent examples of mobile banking in Africa: Tigo Wekeza in Tanzania, Safaricom M-Shwari in Kenya, Econet Wireless Ecocash Loans in Zimbabwe, Orange Emergency Credit, Airtel Mobile Insurance in Ghana, and Safaricom Kilimo Salama in Kenya.
Features and benefits
- Understand why mobile banking is popular, and in some cases necessary, in Africa.
- Examine the strategies used by some of Africa's major MNOs and banks to grow their mobile businesses
- Explore what impact regulation has on the field of mobile banking and insurance.
- The mobile savings market is driven by two distinct commercial models: the development of dedicated saving accounts, separated from the mobile wallet, and the distribution of interest based on money stored in the mobile wallet. In this second model, MNOs do not need to create specific partnerships with banks, and have full control of the operation.
- The mobile credit market also has two commercial models: some MNOs have created strong partnerships with financial institutions to offer credit facilities via their mobile money systems, while others provide extra airtime when customers are running out of credit.
- The mobile insurance market offers four commercial models, ranging from the traditional pay for premium and freemium models to the emergence of new commercial schemes. Some MNOs are now offering insurance coverage in return for a certain amount of monthly airtime top-up.
Your key questions answered
- What is mobile banking and why is it prevalent in Africa?
- Why are MNOs eager to grow this part of their business?
- Which companies are heavily engaged with mobile banking?
- How might the mobile banking market develop in the coming years?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Global Mobile Payment Technologies Market: Overview This report provides an analysis of the global mobile payment technologies market for the period from 2014 to 2024, wherein the period from 2016 to 2024 ...
“Reduction in queuing & transaction time and increased convenience in making low value payments are driving the contactless payment market” The contactless payment market is estimated to grow from ...
This Persistence Market Research report examines the Global mobile payment transaction market for the period 2015- 2020. The primary objective is to offer updates on the advancement in mobile applications ...