Table of Contents
PharmaPoint: Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2024
With the discovery of penicillin, the first naturally-occurring antibiotic, in 1928, and its mass production in the early 1940s, infections with Staphylococcus aureus were mostly treatable, without any major complications. However, clinicians soon observed the emergence of penicillin-resistant strains of S. aureus, which was largely driven by bacterial expression of beta-lactamases. Methicillin, a novel penicillin analogue that was resistant to beta-lactamases, was introduced in 1959, and was initially effective against penicillin-resistant S. aureus strains. However, this success was short-lived, as the first methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) strain had been identified in the lab by 1961, and cases of MRSA were first observed in the clinic in 1968. Initially, MRSA strains only occurred in small and local outbreaks across the US and Europe, but they can now be found around the world.
Today, the MRSA market is highly competitive, as physicians have a myriad of antimicrobial agents at their disposal that are approved to treat these severe and often life-threatening infections. There are currently over 10 marketed antibiotics that have demonstrated potent activity against MRSA, which are frequently used to treat invasive infections in the hospital setting. GlobalData projects the global MRSA marketplace - which, for the purposes of this report, includes patients hospitalized with MRSA skin infections, pneumonia, or bacteremia in the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM; US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan) - to experience limited growth from 2014-2024.
Key Questions Answered
- How will the MRSA therapeutics market landscape in the 7MM (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan) change from 2014-2024?
- What are the most promising late-stage pipeline drugs for MRSA?
- How do the clinical and commercial attributes of late-stage pipeline therapies compare with one another, and against existing treatment options?
- What are the key unmet needs in MRSA treatment landscape?
- What drivers and barriers will influence MRSA therapeutics sales in the 7MM over the forecast period?
- The global MRSA marketplace, which, for the purposes of this report, includes patients hospitalized with MRSA skin infections, pneumonia, or bacteremia in the 7MM, was worth approximately $1.40 billion in 2014. GlobalData projects the market to exceed $1.45 billion in sales by 2024, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 0.4% from 2014-2024. These sales are projected to originate predominantly from the US (with a 71% market share), followed distantly by Japan (with a 16% market share).
- The recent and expected launches of novel antimicrobial agents with potent activity against MRSA, led by Allergan’s Dalvance (dalbavancin), Merck’s Sivextro (tedizolid phosphate), The Medicines Company’s Orbactiv (oritavancin), Debiopharm’s Debio1450, and Nabriva’s lefamulin, will be a principal driver of MRSA drug sales growth across the 7MM from 2014-2014.
- Competition from generics manufacturers, spurred on by the anticipated loss of patent protection for the market leaders Zyvox (linezolid) and Cubicin (daptomycin), will serve as a formidable barrier to growth for the duration of the forecast period.
- Overview of MRSA infections, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current management strategies.
- Topline MRSA market revenue from 2014-2024. Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include current treatment options, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting MRSA therapeutics sales in the 7MM.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global MRSA therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global MRSA therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the MRSA therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Use this report to: - Assess market dynamics of Chinese market for both communicable and - non-communicable infectious disease drugs, their opportunities and restraints. - Evaluate Chinese drug market ...
Global Antibacterial Drugs Market to 2022 - Vaccines Retain Market Prominence While Pipeline Offers Innovative Approaches to Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance Summary The antibacterial drug market covers ...
Global Respiratory Complications Therapeutics Market to 2022 - Innovative Pneumonia and Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Therapies Dominate Varied Disease Market Summary Respiratory complications are a ...