Table of Contents
Opportunity Analyzer: Sjögren’s Syndrome - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2024
Sjögren’s syndrome (SS) is a slow progressing chronic autoimmune disease, which predominantly affects middle-aged women, and is characterized by lymphocytic infiltration of the exocrine glands, mainly the lacrimal and salivary glands, resulting in reduced secretory functions and ocular and oral dryness. The syndrome can also cause many systemic manifestations, targeting various organs of the body. Current treatment of patients with SS is challenging, with few effective therapeutic agents available. Due to the multi-factorial nature of SS, agents are required to treat glandular symptoms of the disease - mainly salivary and lachrymal - and also any extraglandular manifestations that may arise. However, many of the agents that are available either only treat the symptoms of the disease, are used off-label for the treatment of SS, or are considered ineffective in many patients.
The SS market is now set to enter a new phase with the potential approval of the first biologic agent for SS treatment.
Key Questions Answered
- The SS market is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the SS market?
- The late-stage SS pipeline includes the biologic treatment Orencia (abatacept). Will this late-stage drug make a significant impact on the SS market? Will this drug reach peak sales by the end of the forecast period?
- The current SS market is dominated by the use of off-label therapies. How will the approval of the first biologic agent for the treatment of SS change the drug treatment landscape? What are the key drivers and barriers to market growth?
- The main driver of the expansion of the SS market will be the anticipated approval of the first biologic agent for the treatment of SS, Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Orencia (abatacept).
- Growth will also be driven by an increase in the prescribing of off-label biologic therapies for the treatment of SS, such as Genentech/Biogen’s Rituxan (rituximab). However, this growth will be dampened by the anticipated entry of cheaper rituximab biosimilars.
- Until the first biologic agent is approved for the treatment of SS, physicians will continue to have difficulty in gaining reimbursement for the use of off-label biologics in their patients, due to their expense and the lack of treatment guidelines to help payers in making reimbursement decisions.
- A number of randomized controlled trials evaluating biologics in SS have failed, bringing into question the design of the clinical trials. It is believed that as more robust scoring systems and an accurate disease activity index are used in SS clinical trials, studies will be more capable of providing clinically relevant information, with an increased likelihood of detecting efficacy.
- Overview of SS, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized SS therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and treatment usage pattern data from 2014 and forecast for 10 years to 2024.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping, and implications for the SS therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global SS therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global SS therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global SS therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global SS therapeutics market from 2014-2024.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
PharmaPoint: Colorectal Cancer - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2025 Summary Colorectal Cancer (CRC) Market, considering the sales of both branded treatments and generic chemotherapy, is expected ...
PharmaPoint: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2025 Summary Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is a systemic inflammatory autoimmune disease ...
PharmaPoint: Ulcerative Colitis - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2025 Summary Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is a type of chronic IBD that causes inflammation and ulcers in the innermost lining of ...