Table of Contents
The market for smokeless tobacco products stood at3,700 tons in 2014, an increase from 1,000 tons in 1990. Snuff dominates with more than 98% of volumes. The rest comprises a marginal market for chewing tobacco and a declining market for Swedish snus. Snus was promoted as an alternative to cigarettes by leading manufacturers; however, sales failed to take off.
- The per capita consumption of smokeless tobacco products is high by international standards. In 2014 per capita consumption stood at 77g, up from an already strong 26g per person in 1990.
- Sales of snuff have risen over the past two decades as it has developed into a niche alternative to cigarettes. Volumes were only 1,000 tonnes in 1990 but grew to more than 3,700 tonnes in 2014. Sales of snus and chewing tobacco account for a marginal share of total sales at less than five tons and less than one ton respectively, in 2014.
- Snuff exports reached a new high of more than Rand 21 million in 2008 and latest data indicate that they have trebled by 2014.
- Smokeless tobacco volumes are forecast to rise to above 3,800 tons in 2019/2020, with a fall in volume in 2024. Snuff will continue to dominate sales. Chewing tobacco and snus have both failed to capture the interest of consumers with combined sales set to remain at less than two tons per annum.
“Smokeless Tobacco in South Africa”, is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the South African market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2014 to 2024.
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the South African market is key to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
This study covers the world outlook for chewing tobacco and snuff across more than 190 countries. For each year reported, estimates are given for the latent demand, or potential industry earnings (P.I.E.), ...
This study covers the world outlook for chewing tobacco across more than 190 countries. For each year reported, estimates are given for the latent demand, or potential industry earnings (P.I.E.), for the ...
This study covers the world outlook for looseleaf chewing tobacco, snuff, and all chewing tobacco across more than 190 countries. For each year reported, estimates are given for the latent demand, or potential ...