Table of Contents
Americans flocked to Canada for tourism in 2015, reaping the benefits of the weaker Canadian dollar, and this trend is expected to continue in 2016. International arrivals increased by 6.3% in 2015. As Canada is an oil exporting nation, the fall in oil prices globally is hurting its economy and adversely impacted domestic and outbound tourism in 2015.
- Canada's inbound tourism market registered strong growth in 2015 while outbound tourism contracted. Inbound trips increased by 6.3% in 2015, totaling 18.2 million, while international departures declined by -2.5%. This can be attributed to a weak Canadian dollar, which made travel to Canada cheaper for Americans. At the same time, international travel for Canadians became costlier, which adversely impacted outbound travel. This effect is largely seen in the US, which is the biggest source and destination market for Canada. International arrivals from the US increased by 7% in 2015, while departures to the US fell by -3%. With outbound becoming costlier, domestic tourism is expected to benefit over the coming years. Domestic trips are projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.3% over 2015-2020 to reach 142.8 million by 2020. International departures are expected to grow from 32.6 million in 2015 to 38.5 million in 2020, while inbound trips are expected to grow at an average annual rate of 4.7% reaching 23 million by 2020. Canada's relaxed visa rules in recent years will continue to support the growth
- The LCC airlines market in Canada is expanding with new players entering. Four new airlines - NewLeaf Travel, WOW Air, Jetlines, and Jet Naked - are expected to commence operations in 2016. Of these, three airlines plan to serve underserved routes. Low fuel prices will help and, with the weak Canadian dollar, many people are likely to holiday within the country and may prefer low-priced domestic trips
- In 2015, Vancouver became the top hotel market in Canada, followed by Toronto. The city is leading in terms of occupancy rates and growth in REVPAR. Furthermore, its growing appeal as a conference and convention spot, and rising disposable incomes in British Columbia are driving overnight visits to the city. The weak Canadian dollar also helped Vancouver attract more American tourists
Canadean's report - Travel and Tourism in Canada to 2020 - provides detailed information on the country's tourism sector, analyzing market data and providing insights. This report provides a better understanding of tourism flows, expenditure, and the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries.
What else does this report offer?
- Historic and forecast tourist volumes covering the entire Canadian Travel and Tourism sector
- Detailed analysis of tourist spending patterns for various categories, such as accommodation, sightseeing entertainment, foodservice, transportation, retail, travel intermediaries, and others
- Analysis of trips by purpose and mode of transport, and expenditure across various categories including domestic, inbound, and outbound tourism, with analysis using similar metrics
- Analysis of the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries by customer type - leisure and business travelers
Reasons To Buy
- Make strategic business decisions using historic and forecast market data related to Canada's Travel and Tourism sector
- Understand the demand-side dynamics within the industry to identify key market trends and growth opportunities
- Direct promotional efforts to the most promising markets by identifying the key source and destination countries
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Egypt is one of the fastest growing and most promising economy in Africa. Egypt's high growth rate in recent years was driven by high international tourist inflow, growth in trade & logistics and ICT market. ...
Malaysia Medical Tourism Market: Overview In terms of revenue, the Malaysia medical tourism market is expected to register a CAGR of 30.5% during the forecast period, 2016–2024. The primary objective ...
The global medical tourism market accounts for about $XX billion in 2014 and it is anticipated to reach a market value of $XX billion by the end of 2020 at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period of 2015 ...