Table of Contents
Overview of the steel industry
Technavio’s research analyst predicts the global steel industry to grow steadily at a CAGR of around 2%, in terms of consumption volume, during the forecast period. The growth of end-user industries such as automotive, mechanical machinery, and infrastructure and construction is fueling the demand for steel. The infrastructure and construction sector, which accounts for more than 52% of the world's steel consumption, is expected to grow at a rate of around 8% by the end of 2020.
The rapid growth of developing economies such as India is also expected to contribute to the market growth during the forecast period. Around 63% of the demand in India is catered by the coal-intensive blast furnaces. The Indian government has banned iron ore, to fight against illegal mining, which is expected to reduce the domestic supply.
Segmentation by type and analysis of the steel industry
- Carbon steel
- Alloy steel
- Stainless steel
Alloy steel contains metals such as silicon, manganese, copper, aluminum, titanium, chromium, and nickel in varying proportions in order to manipulate the steel's properties. This type of steel is used in electric motors, transformers, power generators, pipelines, and auto parts.
Segmentation by end users and analysis of the steel industry
- Infrastructure and construction
- Mechanical machinery
- Automotive industry
- Others (electrical equipment, domestic appliances, and transportation)
Infrastructure and construction contributed 52% of the global market revenue during 2014 and is expected to retain its market leadership until the end of 2019. Steel-intensive infrastructure such as roads, rail, ports, airports, and power sector is driving the growth of the steel industry in this segment.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the steel industry
APAC accounted for 70% of the market share during 2014 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3% during the forecast period. China, Japan, and India are the market leaders in this region. The increased infrastructure spending in the emerging economies is driving the market growth of this region.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The global steel market is highly fragmented with the presence of numerous global and regional vendors. The competition among vendors is intense, resulting in lower steel prices and reduced profit margins.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- Hebei Iron and Steel
- Jiangsu Shagang
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal
Other prominent vendors in the market include Anyang Steel, Evraz, Geradau, Hyundai Steel, JFE Steel, Maanshan Iron and Steel, Nucor, RIVA, Shandong Iron and Steel, Shougang Group, Tata Steel, United State Steel, and Wuhan Iron and Steel.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2019?
- What are the key factors driving the global steel industry?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the steel industry?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global steel industry?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the steel industry?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
- Steel Market in ASEAN Countries 2015-2019
- Global Steel Mills Products Market 2015-2019
- Global Coal Mining Industry 2015-2019
- Brazilian Mining Industry 2015-2019
- Superalloys Market 2015-2019
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“Electrical steel market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.0%” The electrical steel market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period of 2016 to 2021, and reach USD 38.98 billion ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Magnets and Magnetic Materials in US$ by the following Product Segments: Soft Magnetic Materials (Soft Ferrite, & Electrical Steel), and Permanent Magnets ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Steel Wire in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Carbon Steel Wire (Plain, Plated/Coated with Zinc, & Other Coated), Alloy Steel Wire, and Stainless ...