Table of Contents
This BCC Research report provides new insights into current smart glass technology, as well as outlines technological trends and offer an updated market analysis for these materials. Includes forecasts through 2020.
Use this report to:
- Learn about the main global research and development (R&D) activities related to the smart glass industry.
- Identify current and emerging applications for smart glass.
- Focus on the technical and commercial aspects related to the utilization of smart glass in various industry segments.
- Receive an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to smart glass materials, fabrication processes and applications.
- The global market for smart glass-based products increased from nearly $1.8 billion in 2013 to $1.9 billion in 2014. This market is estimated to total nearly $2.1 billion in 2015 and $3.3 billion by 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4% from 2015 to 2020.
- The global market for smart glass products used in transportation and aerospace is projected to increase from $1.9 billion in 2015 to $3 billion in 2020, a CAGR of 9.6% from 2015 to 2020.
- Sales of smart glass products used in construction are expected to increase from $141.7 million in 2015 to $199.8 million in 2020, a CAGR of 7.1% from 2015 to 2020.
Introduction & Scope
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The term smart glass refers to a group of chromogenic materials that change their light-transmission properties when a voltage is applied. The origins of smart glass can
be traced back to the year 1704 when the first electrochromic material was discovered, but interest in smart glass technology has experienced significant growth only during
the past 40 years. In fact, beginning in the early 1970s, the number of research activities resulting in patent applications and issued patents related to smart glass increased rapidly, leading to the development of improved fabrication processes, advanced properties and an increased number of applications spanning many industrial sectors.
BCC Research published its first report on smart glass in February 2009. Since then, the market for these materials and related products has continued to expand, and new
technological developments and industry changes have also taken place. The primary goal of this report is to provide new insights into current smart glass technology, as well as to outline technological trends and offer an updated market analysis for these materials.
This study’s major objectives are:
- To provide an updated review of smart glass materials and products, including a description of their types and fabrication technologies.
- To highlight new technological developments in smart glass manufacturing while outlining current technical issues.
- To review existing fields of application for smart glass and examine emerging applications.
- To estimate current global markets for smart glass by type, application and region, with growth forecasts through 2020 for each market segment.
- To identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- To offer an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of smart glass materials, products and fabrication equipment, technology developers
and future market participants.
- To provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- To determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Smart glass is characterized by its ability to change opacity and/or color when a voltage is applied. This unique behavior has been exploited in numerous applications,
ranging from residential and commercial construction and architectural projects to interior design, as well as museum artwork expositions, high-end appliances, advanced
displays, automotive mirrors and privacy glass. In 2011, the market for smart glass based products was valued at approximately $1.5 billion. At less than 5% of the primary flat glass market, smart glass still represents a relatively small segment of the total glass industry, but as the electronic content of many related business sectors increases, so does interest in this technology. In addition, since BCC Research published its last report on this topic in 2012, global economic conditions have continued to improve, smart glass fabrication processes have evolved and several new applications have been developed.
The principal objective of this report is to present a current assessment of the smart glass industry from both a technological and market point of view, as well as to outline
future trends and key developments. There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market from a global standpoint. As the use of smart glass-based products expands and new fields of application emerge, information regarding smart glass suppliers and developers and their regional distribution becomes more valuable. An equally important reason for undertaking this report is to provide technical insights into smart glass manufacturing by:
- Providing a review of materials and fabrication technologies.
- Identifying current technological trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global research and development (R&D) activities related to smart glass, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements, as well as new product development, resulting in a positive
impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell and distribute smart glass based products.
- Supply electrochromic materials, liquid crystals, emulsions and films.
- Manufacture process equipment utilized by producers of smart glass.
- Fabricate advanced glass products.
- Offer coating and lamination services for the glass industry.
- Provide solar- and heat-control devices, as well as related instrumentation.
- Offer technical and/or marketing services for architectural, residential and commercial window installation.
- Provide exterior and interior design applications for the automobile industry.
Overall, this report applies to industry segments such as construction, transportation, aerospace, electronics, energy and consumer products. The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within these industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this report to be a good source of technical information regarding smart glass technology, materials and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the smart glass industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of smart glass technology, including materials and fabrication processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for this
technology. BCC Research determines the current market status of smart glass, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The smart glass market is based on the following segments: type, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of smart glass technology is provided, including an outline of recent events. Current and emerging
applications for smart glass are also identified and described. The second section provides a technological review of smart glass types and materials, as well as their fabrication processes. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2012, with a particular focus on emerging technologies, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field. The third section entails a global market analysis of smart glass. Global revenues (sales
data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (i.e., smart glass type, application and region) with actual data for the years 2013 and 2014, and estimated
revenues for 2015.
The analysis of current smart glass revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends and regional
trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for smart glass within each segment, along with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for
2015 through 2020. In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of smart glass, along with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographic distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided. The fifth and final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to smart glass materials, fabrication processes and applications. The patents examined in this study were issued in 2013 and 2014. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and smart glass type.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Smart Glass Market (Technology - Electrochromic, Thermochromic, Photochromic, Liquid Crystal, and Suspended Particle Device; End User - Architectural, Consumer Electronics, Transportation, and Solar Powe ...
According to Stratistics MRC, the Global Smart Glass market is accounted for $2.34 billion in 2015 and is expected to reach $8.59 billion by 2022 growing at a CAGR of 20.4% from 2015 to 2022. Factors such ...
The Global Smart Glass market is valued at USD 2.36 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach a value of USD 7.67 billion by the end of 2022, growing at a projected CAGR of 21.7% during the forecast period ...