Table of Contents
Use this report to:
- Identify the segments of the microscopy market with the greatest commercial potential in the near- to mid-term (2015 to 2020).
- Learn about recent developments in microscopy technologies and applications.
- Receive information about the future size and structure of the market for various types of microscopes and microscope accessories.
- Gain insight through comprehensive company profiles of major players in the market.
- The global market for microscopes, accessories and supplies reached $4.3 billion in 2014. This market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.5% from $4.6 billion in 2015 to $6.3 billion in 2020.
- Microscopes as a segment will grow from $4.0 billion in 2015 to nearly $5.6 billion by 2020 at a 6.7% CAGR for the period 2015-2020.
- Accessories and supplies as a segment will grow from $595.5 million in 2015 to $752.8 million by 2020, increasing at a CAGR of 4.8% from 2015 through 2020.
Introduction & Scope
The field of microscopy has undergone an enormous evolution since the earliest optical microscopes were developed in the 1600s. The optical microscope has been refined continuously since its introduction, resulting in today’s superb scientific instruments. However, the optical microscope is ultimately limited in the minimum size and nature of the features that it can resolve by manufacturability constraints and, ultimately, the
physics of light itself. New microscopy technologies have been developed to overcome these limitations, such as electron, scanning probe and focused ion beam microscopy. The field of microscopy continues to evolve rapidly as new requirements and imaging technologies are developed. While optical microscopes once accounted for the bulk of all microscopes sold around the world today, they are in the minority today.
While microscopes today are a multi-billion-dollar industry, their true importance lies in the activities they make possible, such as life sciences research, microelectronics and advanced-materials science. Microscopy is particularly important to the expanding field of nanotechnology.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This report is an updated version of an earlier BCC Research study published in 2013. The goal of this study is to provide the reader with an understanding of recent developments in microscopy technologies and applications and their impact on the future size and structure of the market for various types of microscopes and microscope accessories. Specific study objectives include identifying segments of the microscopy market with the greatest commercial potential in the near- to mid-term (2015 to 2020), identifying and, where possible, quantifying the key demand drivers, projecting future demand for different types of microscopes, and evaluating the technical and other challenges that must be overcome for the market to realize its full potential.
The report is intended especially for manufacturers and vendors of microscopes and related accessories. Other readers who should find it particularly useful include entrepreneurs, investors, venture capitalists and other readers with a need to know where the microscopy market is headed over the next five years. The report should also be of interest to end users such as nanotechnology companies, whose technology road maps may make critical assumptions about the availability and performance of different materials characterization technologies, including microscopes. Other potential readers include members of technical and professional organizations such as ASM International and the American Society for Nondestructive Testing.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
The report addresses the global market for microscopes and microscope accessories over the period from 2014 through 2020, including:
- Optical (light) microscopes.
- Electron microscopes.
- Scanning probe microscopes.
- Other types of microscope (e.g., focused ion beam, confocal).
- Microscope accessories.
The report includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary.
- Brief history of microscopy.
- Microscope technologies.
- Patent analysis.
- Major end uses and applications.
- Global market trends by type of instrument, end-user segment and geographical region.
- Technology trends, limits and challenges.
- Industry structure (e.g., firm size and financial performance, ownership, market shares).
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
The findings and conclusions of this report are based on information gathered from industry sources, including microscope manufacturers and users. Interview data were combined with information gathered through an extensive review of secondary sources, such as trade publications, trade associations, company literature and online databases, to produce the projections contained in this report. The base year for analysis and projection is 2014. With 2014 as a baseline, market projections were developed for 2015 to 2020. These projections are based on a combination of a consensus among the primary contacts combined with our
understanding of the key market drivers and their impact from a historical and an analytical perspective. The analytical methodologies used to generate the market estimates are described in detail in the section on Detailed Market Projections.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Amrita
+1 718 303 2019
Global Automated Microscopy Market: Overview Automated Microscopy devices, electromechanically determines and adjusts the correct wavelength, required focus, light shutter control, stage control, and illumination ...
The global surgical/operating microscopes market is expected to reach USD 915.6 million in 2021 from USD 508.1 million in 2016, at a CAGR of 12.5% from 2016 to 2021. The increasing use of fluorescence ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Ophthalmic Instrumentation in Units and US$ Thousand by the following Segments: Diagnostic Devices (OCT Systems, Optical Biometers, Slit Lamps, Tonometers, ...