Top insights for Livestock Markets:
Livestock products account for around 30% of the global value of agriculture and 19% of food production.
Global consumption of beef, veal, poultry and pork is estimated to have risen by 30% in the last 15 years
and the trend is expected to continue.
World meat import demand is projected to reach 38 million t by 2030, 7.2 million t
above the level in 2018.
Pork production in 2020 is projected to total 28.985 billion pounds, up 4.9% year over
year according to the March USDA World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates.
Global beef exports increased by 38% - from 8.65m metric tons in 2013 to 11.99m metric tons in 2018.
Overview per country:
- US: In FY 2020, U.S. imports of livestock, dairy, and poultry products are expected to increase
by $100 million to $17.8 billion. Pork exports are forecast at $6.3 billion (up $800 million
from FY 2019) as a result of higher volumes and unit values, partially resulting from the
repeal of Mexico's retaliatory tariffs and an increase in global pork demand due to the
African Swine Fever (ASF) epidemic.
- EU: According to the EU Agricultural Outlook 2017-2030 (European Commission 2030), world
meat consumption will increase by 14% by 2030, leading to higher EU meat exports and
counterbalancing the slight contraction of EU consumption.
- Australia: Australia is the world leader in goat meat exports, with around 95% of Australian
goat meat sent offshore and accounting for around 50% of the global goat meat trade.
In 2017-18 Australia exported around 2 million live sheep (valued at $239 million),
which contributed 7% of the value of Australia's sheep and sheep meat exports, or about
3% of the global trade in sheep meat.
- China: USDA estimates China hog production in 2019 was down 195 million head from
2018 and expects in 2020 to see a further 80-million head reduction in the Chinese pig
herd, with a subsequent increase in global pork import demand.
Top view datapoints for Livestock Markets:
View More Insights
- Livestock Gross Production in the World - 1991 to 2019
- Forecast [COVID-19 updated]: Livestock Gross Production in the World - 2019 to 2023
- Number of Cattle in the World - 1961 to 2019
- Forecast [COVID-19 updated]: Number of Cattle in the World - 2019 to 2023
- Red Meat Market Size Volume in the EU - 2009 to 2019
- Forecast: Red Meat Market Size Volume in the EU - 2019 to 2023