Top insights for Tourism Markets:
There has been an exponential global tourism growth over the past six decade and globally,
some 350 million new international tourist arrivals are expected by 2030, arrivals
would reach 1.8 billion according to the UNWTO.
However it is now assumed that tourism activity will decline by 50% in the second half of
2020 bringing this year forecast of total export earnings from international tourism to
$0.9 trillion down from $1.75 trillion in 2019.
Looking backward, according to the MasterCard Global Destination Index, in the time of an
increase of world real GDP of 140.3% the total amount of international overnights arrivals
from 2009 to 2018 ascended by 176%, while overall tourism expenditures increased by even 197%.
In 2019 world tourism activity grew by 3% - 4% while in Europe growth is estimated at 6%.
However, an EC study on the supply of accessible tourism estimated that only 9% of tourist
services in the EU provided accessible offers, leaving a large gap between supply and demand.
Figures released by the World Tourism Organization show that total export earnings from
international tourism reached $1.7 trillion in 2018, an increase of 4% from 2017.
Overview per country:
- Japan: The amount of international tourism expenditures of Japan in 2018 ($20.1 billion)
has led to Japan taking the 16th place in the "Ranking of International Tourism Expenditures
by Country/Region" in 2017.
- Europe: Tourism is the main economic sector in the Mediterranean region,
representing 30% of global tourism flow and it is the world's principal regional tourist destination.
- Canada: Imports of travel services were down 32.6% to $2.7 billion in March as the
COVID-19 pandemic and related travel restrictions drastically reduced the number of
Canadian tourists travelling abroad.
Top view datapoints for Tourism Markets:
View More Insights
- Global International Tourist Arrivals by country (200 countries), 1995 to 2019
- Global International Tourist Arrivals Forecast by country (200 countries), 1995 to 2019
- European Tourist Arrivals at Hotels (62 countries), 2005 to 2019
- European Tourist Arrivals Forecast at Hotels (62 countries), 2005 to 2019
- European Overnight Visitor Stay by Type of Booking, Duration and Trip Purpose, 2010 to 2019
- Global International Departures Number by Country (35 countries), 2014 to 2019
- Global International Departures Number Forecast by Country (35 countries), 2014 to 2019