BUSINESS October 8, 2015 | 11:59 AM
- Faulty windshield wiper switch can cause fire
- GM will arrange for pickup of vehicles
- GM looks to the future with new initiatives
General Motors is recalling 31,685 SUVs in North America because an electrical short in the windshield wiper motor could cause a fire.
Faulty wiper motor covers allow electrical terminals to come in contact with each other and could cause the motor cover to melt, smoke or catch fire.Read more »
BUSINESS October 7, 2015 | 12:27 PM
- Infotainment system to be installed in 911 Carrera
- Analysts say Google asked for sensitive information
- Google denies it’s spying on customers
Porsche has opted to use Apple CarPlay instead of Android Auto as the infotainment system in its 2017 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S.
Both devices work by allowing users to connect a smartphone to their car. They are intended to reduce distractions while driving by allowing the use of voice commands to control things like music and phone calls.Read more »
BUSINESS October 6, 2015 | 11:35 AM
- All non-essential investments and spending will be cut
- Repairs to cost more than the estimated $7.3 billion
- Deadline for submitting suggested repair to regulators is this month
The world’s largest automaker, Volkswagen AG, will be cutting or delaying all non-essential investments and reviewing executives’ bonuses to pay for costs associated with its emissions- cheating software scandal, company CEO Matthias Mueller told a meeting of 20,000 employees at VW’s Wolfsburg, Germany, headquarters this week.
Jobs will be unaffected for the time being, but Mueller said it was impossible to know how high costs will total.Read more »
BUSINESS October 5, 2015 | 12:21 PM
- Front wheels can lock up
- There have been no accidents
- Honda produces 30 million car in North America
Honda Motor Co. has issued a recall of 143,676 cars in the U.S. because of a software issue.
The models affected are the 20015 Fit and the 2014-2015 Civic.Read more »
BUSINESS October 1, 2015 | 11:42 AM
- Average selling price increases
- Ford and Fiat also have a strong month
- GM controls about a third of the truck market
General Motors, the largest U.S. automaker, had a strong September increasing sales 12% and deliveries 17%, reaching 251,310 vehicles.
September is the sixth straight month with sales increases.Read more »
BUSINESS September 30, 2015 | 11:47 AM
- Company says it values quality over production time
- Model X will soon have competition
- Tesla works to increase customer base
Electric-car manufacturer Tesla Motors has released its Model X SUV after a two-year delay, delivering the first six vehicles.
Announced in 2012, Model X experienced several production delays. Tesla has said it prefers to meet quality specifications as opposed to production deadlines and has called the Model X a challenging build.Read more »
BUSINESS September 29, 2015 | 1:02 PM
- Automaker has not provided details on repairs
- Recall would be one of the world’s largest
- VW scandal erupted in mid-September
Volkswagen, the world’s largest automaker, will soon fix cars that were outfitted with software to deceive emissions standards tests.
Owners will be notified in the near future, the automaker said.Read more »
BUSINESS September 28, 2015 | 11:40 AM
- 470,000 Sonatas recalled for engine debris
- 100,000 Accents recalled for faulty brake lights
- Former Volkswagen CEO under investigation
Hyundai Motor Corp. has issued two recalls of 570,000 cars in the U.S. because mechanical issues could led to an accident.
The first recall affects 470,000 model years 2011 and 2012 Sonata sedans with 2 and 2.4 liter engines. Metal debris may not have been removed from the crankshaft during the manufacturing process. The debris prevents oil from moving freely and cooling the connecting rod bearing. When this happens, the bearings can overheat, causing the engine to stall which could cause a crash.Read more »
BUSINESS September 24, 2015 | 11:15 AM
- Conclusion based on tests from same lab that uncovered Volkswagen scandal
- Other BMWs tested in normal range
- BMW denies any wrongdoing
Luxury automaker BMW AG’s crossover, the X3 xDrive 20d, emits nitrogen oxide emissions 11 times higher than those allowed by European emission standards, according to German magazine Auto Bild.
The magazine used information from a road test conducted by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT).Read more »
BUSINESS September 23, 2015 | 11:46 AM
- Service launching in the city of Chengdu
- China seen as a large growth market
- Uber expanding into larger headquarters
Ride-hailing company Uber has launched a new carpool service in Chengdu, China, called UberCommute.
The service differs from the company’s existing carpool service UberPool in that it allows drivers to carpool with others going in the same direction for long distances. Driver and riders share the cost of the trip.Read more »