BUSINESS July 2, 2015 | 1:44 PM
- Problem with ignition could leave car running
- No injuries linked to the glitch
- Ford exploring other revenue streams
Ford Motor Co., the U.S.’s second largest automaker, has recalled 433,000 vehicles in North America because of a glitch that doesn’t allow the ignition to switch off; 374,781 vehicles are in the United States, 52,180 in Canada and 5,135 in Mexico.
When the ignition is shut off and the key is removed, the engine can continue to run. It also can occur when a driver presses the Start/Stop button. The vehicle could then be stolen or roll away.Read more »
BUSINESS July 1, 2015 | 2:15 PM
- Fiat had higher retail sales than Ford
- GM saw sales drop slightly
- Market on pace to be best year in a decade
For the first time, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, the number four automaker in the U.S., had higher retail sales than Ford Motor Co., the number two automaker, reports Reuters.
In June, Fiat made 278 more retail deliveries than Ford.Read more »
BUSINESS June 30, 2015 | 12:50 PM
- Audi, BMW and Subaru top list
- Manufacturers claim oil usage is normal
- Some consumers suing auto manufacturers
Some new vehicles burn oil excessively, nonprofit consumer organization Consumer Reports reveals in its annual auto survey.
The survey examined nearly 500,000 vehicles, model years 2010-2014, with most still under manufacturer warranty.Read more »
BUSINESS June 29, 2015 | 12:49 PM
- To qualify, vehicle must have 75% of parts manufactured in U.S. or Canada
- This year’s list the smallest in history
- Customers choosing domestic for various reasons
Finding a vehicle that’s “made in America” is more difficult than ever, according to automotive classified website Cars.com.
According to the site’s annual American Made Index, the vehicle that’s most American is the Toyota Camry. The Camry has claimed the top spot five times, most recently in 2012.Read more »
BUSINESS June 25, 2015 | 2:45 PM
- Program has 150,000 French members
- Launches in London in early 2016
- Electric cars will be mainstream in future
Bolloré, owner of the all-electric car-sharing service Autolib, has seen success in Paris and is now expanding to London.
Autolib launched in Paris in 2011. At the time, the company hoped to reach 80,000 members, the number needed to break even, but it has surpassed that goal and currently has 150,000 members.Read more »
BUSINESS June 24, 2015 | 1:29 PM
- Isuzu will build Chevrolet branded vehicles
- GM once owned stake in Isuzu
- GM reentering truck market as part of company strategy
U.S. automaker General Motors Co. and Japanese auto manufacturer Isuzu Motor Ltd. are partnering to produce trucks as GM reenters the medium duty work truck market.
GM benefits from reentering the commercial truck market while Isuzu will benefit from adding to its lineup.Read more »
BUSINESS June 23, 2015 | 12:25 PM
- 1 millionth Corvette has signatures of workers on parts
- 1962 model still awaits restoration
- Museum getting ready to reopen showroom
General Motors Co. has begun the process of repairing classic Corvettes damaged 16 months ago when a sinkhole opened underneath a museum showroom.
On Feb. 12, 2014, a sinkhole opened under a showroom at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Of the eight Corvettes that fell into the sinkhole, only three will be able to be repaired.Read more »
BUSINESS June 22, 2015 | 11:49 AM
- There are 1.7 million rear-end accidents in the U.S. annually
- Safety systems save lives
- Auto alliance disagrees with recommendation
The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board recommends collision avoidance systems be standard features on all new vehicle as a matter of public safety.
In a 60-page report released earlier this month, the NTSB said customers shouldn’t have to pay extra for safety.Read more »
BUSINESS June 18, 2015 | 1:42 PM
- Shoppers still attracted to SUVs
- Car and light-truck sales modest
- Top-selling used cars are foreign makes
The top auto manufacturers have reported May results for U.S. sales, and while cars fared better than in past months, SUVS and trucks are still popular with buyers.
Total sales for the month were 1.6 million vehicles, a 1.6% increase from 2014.Read more »
BUSINESS June 17, 2015 | 11:53 AM
- Goal to show what it’s like to be an Uber driver
- App also can be used as recruiting tool
- Uber being investigated in UK
Web-based minicab service Uber wants to show potential drivers and the public what being an Uber driver is like. The company has developed a smartphone app for iOS called UberDRIVE.
The game allows users to pick up passengers and drive through the city. Players are also quizzed on local trivia.Read more »